Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wedding burnout

Okay. So I'm experiencing wedding burnout. This is okay, because I have a 30 page paper to draft in the next week.
How did I get to wedding burnout this quickly? I think its probably pretty typical for anyone in our situation - we have a long time to plan, but we are starting early because I won't be around this summer and I'm glad we started early because it turns out that you can't necessarily just schedule venue visits and go check out 10 places in one weekend. The venue hunt is exhausting for the same reason that considering different options for anything is exhausting - there are a lot of options, and none of them are perfect. Then, after the venue hunt is the hunt for everything else. And the end seems so far away. To get to our wedding, I have to graduate from law school, then study for and take the bar.
We have two visits scheduled for this weekend - the Elkridge Furnace Inn, and Historic Oakland. We're going to go check them out, but I feel like I have shut down on the venue hunt. I'm not sure if its childish on my part, like "I can't have my perfect wedding so I don't want one at all" or if it is my usual response to anything that is stressful for me, where I just don't want to talk about it or acknowledge its existence until it somehow becomes something that I can process. (I am currently doing this with law school. I am mostly ignoring it.)
Seriously. We could just book our wedding here, decide to screw over all of our friends and family who don't have money and who don't scuba dive, and ignore the fact that October is still hurricane season.
I know that I'll come around, and enjoy planning again at some point, but today is not that day.
How often do you experience wedding burnout?

1 comment:

  1. It's really okay (and normal!) to get burned-out! I am a Wedding Celebrant in the Chicago area, so I live and breathe weddings and I get tired of it - and I'm not even planning one! So many couples I work with get consumed by the planning - trying to keep everyone happy while still staying true to their own "dream wedding." It's very stressful! I suggest taking a breath and stepping away from it for a bit. Then, sit back, and think about what you really want. This day is about the two of you and the start of your life together. Do what you really want. Do what will make YOU happy.

    I wish you the best of luck. Don't worry, it will all fall into place.

    ReplyDelete