Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Invitations

We're going to two weddings this May - and both the invites came this week. They're both pretty, and they're both pretty formal while still being simple. One is like, silver on white cardstock with the scripty font and the fancy ribbon at the top. The other one uses a nice monogram. Both envelopes were addressed with the skilled hand of a caligrapher.
I like paper, and I love fun fonts - and I love love love great graphic design. Yeah, I know. It's an invite. It's a piece of paper. It tells you where and when to show up.
So why should it matter whether it looks like this:
Or like this:
Is there something about a "funner" invite that lets you know that the party will be great? For example, would you be more excited to attend this wedding than the wedding that sent the invitation above?
Yes, its a piece of paper, at the end of the day. You can DIY them, you can semi-DIY them, you can order them online or you can get yourself an invitation lady. At the end of the day, your guests will come to your wedding - so does it matter what it looks like? Two years ago I would have said no. Five wedding invites later, I'm starting to change my mind. I want our invitation to have an aura of fun, a "oooh the invite finally came" feeling, a "man, I can't wait for their wedding - it's gonna be a good time" vibe. I don't want people to open the invite and go, "oh crap, another wedding."

1 comment:

  1. I do not think you are strange to think about the invitations. I think the invitation sets the tone for the wedding. It makes a statement about the wedding before people set foot in the door of your venue. I love paper and crafty things so the invitation hunt has been exciting to me.

    ReplyDelete