Monday, April 6, 2009

Sticking to Tradition

If you've been paying attention, you may have gleaned from hints in some of our previous posts that I have a tendency to be a little traditional.  Not in a patriarchal oppression kind of way (cf. name changes) and not in a superstitious way - I walk under ladders, spill salt, and smash mirrors constantly.  

I don't believe in blindly following tradition.  Things change; traditions don't always keep up. But that doesn't mean it should be discounted entirely, in my mind.  Traditions provide a connection to the past; there can be a certain comforting stability in being able to say, "look how much things have changed, but we're still doing this specific thing the same way that we have for hundreds of years."  

I don't believe it's necessarily bad luck to see my bride on the day of our wedding, but I do like that it's a tradition; there isn't any real downside to it, and I like the idea of the anticipation building over the course of the day.  There are plenty of traditions I'm happy to ditch or adapt: I don't feel any need to convince Ellie to change her name; I like her idea of adopting the Jewish tradition of being walked down the aisle by both parents.  But, there are a few we'll be sticking to: I know Ellie's planning to do the "something borrowed, something blue" thing; I'll stand on the right side; her dress will be white (more or less); when we get home for the first time I'll probably make an awkward attempt to carry her through the door and smack her head on something in the process, so that I can show my new wife I care about my roots enough to give her a mild concussion.

1 comment:

  1. The way you said "my bride" struck me as disgustingly possessive....but I guess its accurate.
    Carry all you want, but no fake pretending I'm too heavy. That's just mean.
    I like traditions, but I like to know where they come from and what they symbolize, so I question them when I don't know where they come from. Bridesmaids comes from the tradition of dressing up "decoy" brides so that would-be kidnappers would not kidnap the bride for a ransom. But I have no idea where this one comes from - http://www.snopes.com/weddings/customs/notsee.asp.

    ReplyDelete