Tuesday, May 19, 2009

DIY: Runaway Bride Hat

So let's say you are a runner. A really, really hardcore runner. A runs-marathons-to-train-for-ultra-marathons runner. A considers-a-ten-miler-a-walk-in-the-park runner. I'm not talking about myself (I'm the "13.1 sounds kind of far" type.) However, one of my good friends and running buddies (who I can keep up with when she's injured and going slow for my sake) is getting married in two weeks. On her wedding day, we are running a 5k in Howard County. We are super excited, and I think it will be a great way for us to get to spend a little time together before she gets all stressed out, because I don't know how much we'll really see her at her wedding. I have talked before about my desire to run a race our wedding weekend, and hopefully we can pull it off. I'm planning to take a few cues from how well it goes for our friend (and I think we'll do one the day before, instead of the day of, because we are looking at a 3pm ceremony instead of 5pm.)
For her bridal shower, which was the same day as the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, I made her a running hat-veil. If you have a friend who is planning to race in a wedding day 5k or, like I saw last summer, run a race as part of her bachelorette party (I haven't ruled out this possibility either), you should consider making a hat-veil.
You will need:
A white running hat (or another color, but the white one was in the $6 bin at the race expo).
Some tulle - maybe 1/4-1/2 a yard (cut into a veil shape - this means it should be straight, with a bottom cut on a curve/rounded edges.)
Some white (or another light color) thread
A needle

Steps:
1.) Start by threading the needle and gathering the tulle. This means that you will simply run a stitch through the straight top of the tulle (not the curved part). I find that it helps to either tie the thread into a knot around the tulle (if you knot the thread, it will pull right through) or to wrap the thread around a straight pin to keep the thread from pulling out as you gather. Just bunch the tulle onto the needle and pull the thread through so the tulle stays all bunchy.
2.) Once the tulle has been gathered, sew it onto the hat. In these pictures, I'm sewing it on to the bottom of the adjuster. I actually wound up taking it off and sewing it to the top of the pony-tail port, which I recommend. This doesn't have to be perfect - she's only wearing this once. I actually used light blue thread for this so that it would be easier to cut off later. You do want to try to keep the stitching on the underside of the veil so it looks a little neat.
3.) Make sure the tulle is firmly attached to the veil hat.
4.) Admire yourself in the mirror. (Yes, this is me as a model - and this was the point where I realized the veil was too low on the hat and not everybody has short hair.)

1 comment: