Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bridal Shower Week: Favor Idea

Did You Know.... Plastic shopping bags are typically used less than 30 minutes and only 1 % are recycled. The average American adult uses approximately 288 bags a year, or 22,000* in an average lifetime... make and use a Recycled T-Shirt Totebag today! *Source: 2008 Piedmont Environmental Alliance, NC

Every time I volunteer at something, give blood, run a race, or show up too early to a baseball game, somebody hands me a free t-shirt. I seriously have a ridiculous amount of them. I have a dedicated t-shirt drawer at home and its overflowing. I don't even wear them to the gym because I hate working out in cotton.

The above link is a girl scout trying to earn her gold award who wrote a DIY instructable for making tote bags out of your t-shirts. It occurred to me that this would be a fantastic favor for the eco-friendly bride (why hello!) or groom having a shower. The only thing I have to add to the instructable is that you should consider sewing everything with a zig zag stitch instead of a straight stitch because it has been my experience that zigzag holds better on stretchy fabrics.

Bonus: use kids t-shirts to make lunch sacs!

No comments:

Post a Comment