Friday, July 3, 2009

Athletic Engagement

I meet people now who are shocked to hear that I wasn't active as a kid, that I hated gym class with every fiber of my being, and that I thought sports were the biggest waste of time ever. This seems shocking now because I work out daily or more than daily. I play hockey, I run, I hit the gym, I do fitness classes, I'm game for any kind of team sport (although I'm pretty bad at everything.) We go on SCUBA diving vacations and sometimes I join Mark when he goes rock climbing. I honestly wasn't active until I got to college and started going to the gym daily. (The gym was Right. There. If you go to UMD and live in Centerville, there is no excuse for not being in shape.) I also joined the hockey team, and then eventually took up running. I started signing up for races, giving myself training goals and things to look forward to.
I've been weighing in around the same weight for almost 9 months now, so I started to change up my workout recently. I wrote about doing the 30-day-shred, which has been great for building up my strength and endurance. Since I got to Michigan, I started doing workouts twice a day - I shred in the morning, and then in the evening I've been doing a...variety...of activities.
I've been....swimming...and biking....and running....because I'm training for this:
(I'm training for the sprint version, the .45 mile swim, 21 mile bike ride, and 4.9 mile run. Not the crazyperson race.)
It turns out that triathlon training is pretty much what I needed to shock my body out of its comfort zone (aka the elliptical). It offers a lot of variety, and the intensity necessary is completely different from running or "phoning it in at the gym" as Jillian would say. So far I've lost somewhere between 4 and 6 pounds (although we'll see if my week at the beach undoes all that). Plus, I feel awesome. It's so nice to feel like I'm really improving at something - the first time I went swimming I could barely swim four lengths of the pool without stopping, and last week I hit 35. (It actually only took 3 weeks to get to that point - mostly a matter of remembering how to swim, and figuring out how to apply my endurance from running to swimming.)
Next week when I get back, I start actual classes - I'm taking swim lessons, and a spinning class, plus Yoga for Runners. I'm pretty psyched for it actually, and bought a new bathing suit yesterday for my swimming lessons. I'm trying to do each "activity" 2 times a week, and I'm really working on the transitions, so my legs don't feel so much like jelly when I go from biking to running. I need to find myself a bike for the race, because I ride a Giant Hybrid, which is a little too upright for a tri. I'm pretty excited though, and if my dress happens to fit a little better, that is a nice perk.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new training regimen! This sounds like a lot of hard work, but I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it so far =)

    ReplyDelete