Thursday, October 8, 2009

Poll

The poll closed today and apparently the wedding trend that most people are over is the candy buffet! Truthfully, I'm a little sad about that! It occurred to me, though, when thinking about our poll - it begs the question - are we sick of seeing these trends at weddings we read about or are we sick of going to weddings with them? I'm a little tired of reading about candy buffets - but I have not yet been to a single wedding with a candy buffet, and I would be super excited to get to enjoy one in person! On the other hand, I actually don't like cupcakes. (What? Sacrilege! How can I not love going to the fancy kitschy cupcake place and paying $3.50 for a tiny piece of cake? Answer: I don't like icing, and cupcakes have too much. Plus, they are messy!)
Anyway, since this blog is supposed to help people, lets brainstorm ways to keep candy buffets fresh.* One variation I'm kind of in love with right now?
Popcorn! (I'm a total popcorn junkie, so I think this is like, the best idea ever.)
Another idea - if you are doing a Halloween wedding (shout out to my friend M.J.), instead of a candy buffet, have candy bowl centerpieces (or fake pumpkins filled with candy!) on every table and pass out bags at people's places so they can trick-or-treat at other tables. This encourages people to interact with each other, and means people don't have to leave the dance floor or dinner table to go get their candy, or see the candy buffet at the end of the night on their way out.
You could also try making your candy buffet geographically specific, like with Mrs. Petunia's Atlantic City candy buffet:
or you could fill your buffet with candy from your hometown/country and your partner's. (I wrote about the possibility of an English candy buffet awhile ago...and how could a candy buffet of cadbury creme eggs, aero bars, twirl bars, flake bars, Terry's orange chocolate slices, plus everything Hershey's ever seem to go out of style?) San Franciscans get Ghiradelli and Jelly Belly - some people just have all the luck.
There are two things I'm really tired of seeing on candy buffets. First of all - let go of the color scheme! I would hate to just serve blue and green candy at our wedding - I hate most "green" flavors and the only blue candy out there is blue rock candy! There was a sample candy buffet at one catering event we went to and everything was blue - so it was mostly blue licorice candy and blue fake m&ms. Don't be afraid to have non-color-coordinating candy - just put them in an appropriately colored or opaque jar if you're that worried - but I'll let you in on a secret. Candy is so delicious that nobody cares what color it is!
The second thing I'm so f***ing sick of? The phrase "love is sweet". Sure, love is sweet, but so are puppies, small children, old people, and your next door neighbor who mows your lawn. Something about the phrase just seems like overkill at a wedding. Maybe it's just me. Is it just me? What else can people write on their little candy buffet bags or candy favor bags or their cupcake tags? Besides just "thanks". Lets brainstorm here!

* If you want to do a candy buffet, or have cupcakes, or bird cake toppers that is totally your business and if you like it, your guests will probably like it too, and who cares what anybody else thinks?

3 comments:

  1. lol my first wedding blog shout out! <3 and we actually are going to have candy at the tables (LOVE the hallowed out pumpkin idea!) so that the kids can trick or treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so common in Pittsburgh to actually do a cookie table that cookie plating is in most venue contracts. it's pretty funny to see the groom and bride's aunts/grandmas/mothers try and out bake each other and for sure tasty for all the guests.

    not being a big cake fan, i like the idea of having something sweet for the guests that isn't wedding cake. i love the popcorn idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jess - it occurred to me after I wrote this post that a cookie buffet was another great alternative to a candy bar. I really wanted a full-on dessert buffet, not just cakes, but Mark is so traditional there was no talking him out of a cake. So we compromised and agreed that we would let a friend make the cake to build her portfolio, and that we would have an ice cream bar as well, for some variety.

    ReplyDelete