Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Books - primitive versions of the DVD

So I hunt around on the internets for fabric flower tutorials, and I was starting to feel frustrated. The internet is great, but usually people that write tutorials don't get anything out of it, so there is no quality control. I was feeling particularly daunted by one tutorial and then I heard a tiny nagging voice in the back of my mind.
"Books"
Remember books? Remember this place? Right!
A quick Amazon search found me fabulous fabric flowers, Fun to Wear Fabric Flowers, Fast Fun & Easy, and a gingham shower curtain. ?
I could get Fun to Wear Fabric Flowers and a couple others at the local library, so I trekked the mile up to Central Library (it is gorgeous, by the way, if you live in Baltimore and you've never been to it, you are cheating yourself). It took about 10 minutes to find the second floor (the stairs are to the right as you come in, before you enter the "main" room), and then another 10 to try to find the book, then finally caving and admitting to the guy at the main desk that I needed help. Why I can admit to 100 internet readers that I wanted to check out a book on fabric flowers, but not to the librarian, I don't know, but I felt embarrassed.
He brought me Fun to Wear Fabric Flowers and I sat down and read it. The flowers in it are really nice, and the instructions were simple and clear. I went downstairs and registered my library card and checked out my new book. I came home optimistic that these would be more user friendly and wouldn't make my eyes hurt.
I tried the first one on Saturday and um, I was wrong. Except for the eyes thing, cuz the book is better for that. See this? This is supposed to turn into a peony.
The book is very clear as far as the stitching goes, and then, it's a little fuzzy on the how it gets from the hot mess above into a flower. And since it's a book, I can comment on the blog post and ask the writer for better instructions.
I plan to figure this out, but it will have to wait until next weekend.
The book does have some definite pros - it gave me the idea to try dupioni silk as the material for the flowers - I had purchased some heavy satin remnants to first try this with and have been disappointed with how they looked. Dupioni silk comes in a wide array of colors, is very thin but is easy to work with compared to organza or charmeuse, which can be really slippery. It irons easy and is easy to work with.
The book also has some nice ideas for how to execute roses and other flowers. I haven't figured out yet how to make a bouquet of the flowers instead of sewing them to some buckram (and word to the wise - don't ever sew anything to buckram) and pinning them on my blazer.
I would say if your local library has a copy and you are interested in fabric flowers, you should definitely check it out, but I wouldn't buy it unless your spatial perception is REALLY good.

2 comments:

  1. I've been sewing fabric flowers since October, and you're are correct, there isn't a lot of quality control on the internet as far as tutorials go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet tried this tutorial, but it looks pretty straight forward - lots of pictures, which for me always helps! Maybe it'll help you too??
    http://makeitdo.wordpress.com/2009/06/03/peony-clips/

    ReplyDelete