Friday, February 19, 2010

DIY Hair Flower Take II

So I started working with ribbon for the fabric flowers because it's already hemmed.  I also started experimenting with wired ribbon, because it's really easy to work with.  Plus the flowers have a slightly more open shape.  This morning I made a hair flower using 2 colors of wired ribbon (one 1 1/2 inch wide; one 1 inch wide) each about 6-8 inches in length. 
With the wired ribbon, just push the ribbon over the wire so you can hold on to the wire, and scrunch the ribbon down along the wire.  Then twirl together and sew on the bottom, or apply hot glue.  (I realize this tutorial is insufficient, if you need more instructions, just Google "wired ribbon roses.")
 For this part, I actually pulled the other wire out so it was a little fluffier. 

but the orange center flower still has both wires.  Then I stacked the orange flower on top of the green, hot glued it together, and attached it to a 2" hair comb.  I also glued a pearl button into the center of the flower to give it a little something extra. 
I'm pretty happy with how it came out, although I doubt I'll wear something this colorful for my wedding. 
However, it's a nice prototype and I can see doing the same thing with an ivory ribbon and maybe some champagne ribbon to form the outside. It could also be fun for bridesmaids, although I would never make our sisters wear something this craft-project-y.  (My other girls might be up for it though.)
From the front:
And yes, I did dye my hair during the giant snowstorm.  I also finally got it cut yesterday so I no longer look like a high school student with a mushroom haircut. 
How are your craft projects going?

3 comments:

  1. That one turned out great, well done!
    As for our craft projects, I'm choosing to ignore them until midterms are over, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is extremely cute. Very well done and I like the 2 different textures of ribbon together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sort of reminds me of water lillies, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete