Friday, February 26, 2010

Real Weddings: Chris and Shannon's vows

We've been thinking about the ceremony lately, and I've seen a few vow samples and posts, and I wanted to post my favorite vows ever.  Ever.  They are from our friends Chris and Shannon.  Chris is Mark's best man, and this wedding was a lot of fun.
This was one of the first weddings I went to as a "grownup" with an eye towards planning my own wedding.  I don't have any pictures of the ceremony itself, so I offer you this one of their first dance.  (The venue is Antrim and it's gorgeous and the risotto was amazing.)
These were their vows.  I love that they mirror each other, but are individualized, and that they were clearly written together.  Personally, I'm not wild about writing our vows separately - because why would I want to be surprised by what my husband is promising to me on our wedding day?  And why would I risk it being different from what I am promising him?  This struck me as a wonderful and different way to write your own vows, and since we're all about wonderful and different, I'll let Chris and Shannon take it away:


Chris:
Shannon, we have been friends, adventurers, supporters, confidantes, dancers, chefs, Bostonians, crying shoulders, and much more.  But above all, you are my true love, and I promise to share my love and my life with you.
Shannon Lastname, I take you to be my wedded wife,
          to have and to hold from this day forward,
          for better, for worse,
          for richer, for poorer,
          in sickness and in health,
          to love and to cherish,
          so long as we both shall live.
          With my whole heart
          and with my complete devotion,
          I pledge my love to you.

Shannon:
Chris, we have been friends, treasure-hunters, allies, motivators, skydivers, beach-combers, risk-takers, helping hands, and much more.  But above all, you are my true love, and I promise to share my love and my life with you.
Christopher Lastname, I take you to be my wedded husband,
          to have and to hold from this day forward,
          for better, for worse,
          for richer, for poorer,
          in sickness and in health,
          to love and to cherish,
          so long as we both shall live.
          With my whole heart
          and with my complete devotion,
          I pledge my love to you.


Are you writing your own vows? If so, are you doing it together or separately?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes! These vows are beautiful. This is exactly how I envision my vows with my fiance. Crafted together, unique to us, symmetrical, but slightly individualized. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're are so great! I love when couples incorporate personalized vows with the traditional ones.

    We're actually emulating ours after Sara and Matt at 2000dollarwedding. We're writing separately, but we'll both follow the same "formula" (for lack of a better word). We'll each start off with a list of reasons of why we love each other and then follow with the promise we make to each other.
    So, it'll start with "I love you because..." and continue with "Because I love you, I promise, etc."

    Hopefully it'll minimize any discrepancies between vows that can happen when a couple just says "okay, go write your vows". It'd be weird if one of us went super funny and the other was super emotional, we're hoping for a balance of both. Plus, honestly, me and the Mr. need some sort of direction or we'd never get them written, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this "With my whole heart
    and with my complete devotion,
    I pledge my love to you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are writing our own vows separately. I offered up the suggestion to my fiance that maybe we should have a trustworthy independent party read them both to make sure they were similar enough in length and content (to avoid the 'one of us went funny, the other went sentimental' problem), but my fiance brought up a good point. There's really no chance that one of us is gonna get up there and do a stand up comedy routine while the other pours their heart out...we're pretty much on the same page about what these vows should convey....his proposal was so amazing that I actually can't wait to be surprised by what he has to say. I think it will mean more hearing it for the first time in the moment....but that's just us. It's the part of the day I"m most excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We wrote our own vows. I did tons of online research and narrowed it down to my favorite options (about a page worth of variations) and then created a rough draft. Then my then-fiancé and I worked on them together to get the exact wording that felt right to us. This was done in English, then my husband translated them to French because we had a bilingual ceremony. It felt very special to chose our words together, because I know realize we were defining for ourselves the most core aspects of our commitment to each other and what we value in how we want to live together. It was special (even though we were doing it at about 2 am the night before the wedding.) :)

    ReplyDelete