Sunday, March 21, 2010

Book Review: Buff Brides

I feel like such a sell-out for even buying this book, even though I bought it used and have found it really useful.  Back in January, I decided to start lifting weights regularly.  I tried to lift weights in our apartment and make my own routine, but I lacked focus.  I had heard good things about Buff Brides, and in a moment of I-don't-know-what, I ordered it. 

It's actually pretty good.  I don't know how it works for people who don't have a solid fitness and weight training background, but none of the exercises are that new to me - it's a slightly different way to doing some of them, but it's pretty basic.  It's just nice to have somebody else do the work of coming up with a routine.  The exercises don't take up that much time, and if you have all the equipment at home, you don't have to be embarrassed by 1) reading from a book in the gym and 2) reading from a book about how to look hott in your wedding dress at the gym. If you do want to invest in getting the right equipment at home, I recommend having weights that can be changed in and out, so you can step up the amount of weight (which is something a lot of women weight training don't do.) 

I'm not really sure who this book is for.  I think it's for anybody who works out regularly and wants a weight routine to help tone them up (like me).  I don't think it will work for people who can't handle a workout routine at all.  If you aren't going to work out regularly, that's something internal, not something you can solve by buying books, DVDs, a treadmill, or a gym membership. 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...a book may be the way to go for me. I've been inventing an exercise routine to do at home as well, just for a bit of toning. But it just seems like too much imagination sometimes! I need to get out of pregnant exercise mode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say this book would be great for you then - it's pretty easy and straightforward, doesn't require a ton of equipment (I did the "stability ball" exercises on the ground for weeks before finally blowing up my ball) and is flexible enough that you could do some at a time, or one set at a time. I really like just having somebody else tell me what to do every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume it focuses on toning and not bulking right? What parts of the body does it focus on? I've been incorporating lifting into my workout routine since this past summer and I love it. I feel like I burn my calories that way.

    ReplyDelete