Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Florist: check!

I mailed off our florist contract two weeks ago and felt a sigh of relief.  I was relieved for two reasons - that we have hired a wonderful professional to take care of our flowers, and that I don't have to worry about them anymore.  Checkity-check of the Knot list I check on a tri-monthly basis to see how I'm doing.*
We are working with Judy Overman of Flowers by Judy.  She did the flowers for my cousin's wedding, and they were fantastic (the boutonniere above is the groom's from the wedding).  I met with two florists.  The first one worked out of her house and when we met up, something didn't click.  And although I hadn't wanted to contact more vendors, I figured I would give Judy a shot, because I knew that A. had said she was very reasonable and really knew her stuff, and was able to source locally.  I thought even if she was a little out of our budget, it might be worth it. I also knew that B. she had done such a fantastic job with my cousin's wedding that I thought they had spent more on flowers than food.

Judy has been great to work with and was able to easily work with our $500 budget (this might seem like a lot, but when I have talked to other people who paid $150 for their bouquets and $75 for bridesmaids, so it was discouraging to try to figure out how to get flowers for under $500 for 4 maids, 7 menfolk, 2 moms, and The Bride.)  So if you are looking for a Baltimore area florist who can be flexible, honest, and work with a budget, I highly recommend checking Judy out. 

*And feel self-assured about how I'm not a crazy bridezilla.  You know you do it too.

7 comments:

  1. I'm using Judy too! We just had our meeting last month. She did my sister's flowers for her wedding and everything turned out beautifully. She's great to work with---definitely one of my favorite vendors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked out Judy's website- her photos look wonderful! We are getting married in Philly and doing the florist search right now. That lil' Knot Checklist feels like a train I just can't catch but I check it every few months & it feels so good to check things off! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post! (I always avoid The Knot anything because it makes me feel all panick-y!) It's good to read about another Baltimore Bride, especially when it's posts like this that help to keep me on task. (We haven't even thought about flowers yet!) p.s. Where are the Baltimore Brides?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Angie - dude, I know. Meet the entire point behind this blog. (Originally.) That's why so much of the beginning was focused on our local venue hunt - there was nobody out there talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flowers are always expensive - but that sounds like good bang for your buck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Baltimore board on the Knot used to be very active, but it's dead now. I've gotten a lot of ideas from Weddingbee.com and other blogs, but nothing local.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used Judy for our flowers and it was the best decision I made. She was awesome to work with and completely got our vision for the day. Her rates were really reasonable. She was willing to work with the hodge podge of vases that I had been collecting and helped me figure out other decorations for my venue. She is very professional and does amazing work. I walked into our venue as she was finishing up and nearly burst into tears of joy because it was so beautiful! I felt like I was walking into the dream of my wedding day.

    ReplyDelete