Thursday, April 29, 2010

Inspiration table

Um, how do I get these vases?
Mostly the wooden log vases, but I also love the plain glass jars.  What fall flowers would look good in those?  I'm thinking just greenery, and then do small bud vases with dahlias.

Let's brainstorm - how does one drill out part of a small log?  Other than just using a really wide drill bit and a steady hand, smartass.  Where does one who lives in the city get a small log?  Most importantly, how do I convince my finace that he must have these vases and therefore should pile this project on top of all of the other construction projects I've given him*?

P.S. this wedding was beautiful but can we please stop saying things like "and we made homemade jam as favors for our friends" like it was just the easiest thing in the entire world?  Because let me remind you of this scene from Little Women which would befall myself if I chose to make my own jam favors.  "In the kitchen reigned confusion and despair. One edition of jelly was trickled from pot to pot, another lay upon the floor, and a third was burning gaily on the stove. Lotty, with Teutonic phlegm, was calmly eating bread and currant wine, for the jelly was still in a hopelessly liquid state, while Mrs. Brooke, with her apron over her head, sat sobbing dismally."  


*He stole because they're the cool projects. 

8 comments:

  1. You can actually find vase wraps. It's like a thin, birch, wrap that goes right on the outside of any vase. I swear I just saw some listed on the weddingbee classifieds recently. Can't remember exactly where! But it is definitely do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I actually just saw some vases like that over on Save-on-crafts. They have a few different sizes I think...

    http://www.save-on-crafts.com/birchpot.html

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plain glass jars could just be spaghetti jars? You could start saving now every time you eat pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shit. This took a long time to find!!! http://100layercake.com/blog/archives/5854

    I knew I had seen something like this somewhere! Maybe you can use the forstner bit in this DIY to make the holes once you have found the logs. Whew! Hope that helps!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glass jars= sauce jars. eat a lot of pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the jars under the Classico wrappers are SUPER CUTE. just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out Georgia moon at your local package store http://www.grainmash.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/georgia-moon-corn-whiskey.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are birch wrappers on Weddingbee Classifieds right now!!!

    ReplyDelete