Tuesday, April 27, 2010

'Scuse me, you from around here?

Originally, I really wanted to do nice OOT bags in cute gable boxes and have things like Old Bay and Berger Cookies and those weird caramel candies that are kinda good and really just...different (Ghects? I dunno.) But like everything with weddings, it has evolved.  And by evolved, I mean, "been downsized to something I can afford."

Why not skip them all together?  Well, Baltimore City water is pretty terrible, so I refuse to leave our guests without water bottles that they can take into the city with them.  A lot of our guests are coming from the UK, so I worry that they will be off because of the time difference and wake up at 4am starving.  I always come back from weddings hungry and thirsty.  So I believe in the OOT bag.

However, I no longer believe in the work that goes into the OOT bag.  If you're not staying at the main hotel, you don't get one.  That way, no running around town making deliveries.  No individually packaging things that come in giant bags from Costco into cute little glassine packages sealed with a stamp.  No fancy labels with an excessive amount of ribbon.  No painstakingly printed labels.

The new recipe for the OOT bag is this:
water bottles + trail mix + granola bars + local takeout menus + whatever we want to steal from the visitor bureau + paper bag (with handles, cuz we're classy) + cute tag = OOT bag

Lazy and cheap way out?  Yes, yes it is.  I estimate the total cost to be $50 (if I can buy bags in smaller quantities than 250 to a case) and the total effort to be dependent on whether I get fancy with the tag or just write "Welcome!" in sharpie.  Will it look half assed?  Only to people that read wedding blogs.  Everyone else will either say, "oh, how nice and delicious" or "I hope the maids like trail mix."

7 comments:

  1. At first I thought OOT bags were dumb - one of those things we're sucked into thinking we need. But the more I thought about it, the more I thought that they are a sweet way to appreciate the people who are showing up, and I realized that I would *love* to get one if I traveled for a wedding! So this is totally not in the budget, but somehow I will make it happen, too...

    Anyway, one thought I had is that the stamps we had made were super easy and only about $20 after we had someone on etsy design them and then also had them made. They were easy to put our design on a lot of stuff - and if you did the design yourself it would only be about $12 or so. Our stamp is pictured here: http://roughit.wordpress.com/2010/02/27/awesome-engagement-party-1/

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this one! OOT bags you see on the blogs are WAY too much work for me. But I could handle your version, but I still don't think I'm gonna do them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping I'll have enough energy to bake some cookies to throw into the hotel rooms. Cheap and cheerful-ish . . . We'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, keep it simple. Main hotel only. I like the idea of hearty snacks like trail mix and granola. Good luck. Let us see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ain't nothing wrong with cheap, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lazy and cheap way out is to decide not to do them at all, and then have your future mother-in-law do them b/c she thought they were more important than you did. Your OOT bag plan sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete