Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Boring is in the eye of the beholder.

I see people talk about "plain boring envelopes" and I get insecure about our white linen envelopes from Paper and More.  I look at our envelopes, with addresses printed, not calligraphed, and I get even more insecure.
I think about how easy it would be to just take a small corner flourish stamp and add it to the bottom corner of the envelopes.  How easy it would be to stamp a tree on the back like Mariko and Jeff did.

Then I look up at the 13 bar review books I have on the shelf above my desk.  I think, "I could stamp these, or I could do MBE questions and guarantee myself the future that I promised myself and my partner when I started law school."

Because in the long term, there are things that matter, and there are things that do not matter.  Since most of the invites won't go out until after the bar, maybe I will choose to stamp them then.  But maybe I will choose to do better, bigger, funner things with my time.  Because the only person who is judging me is me.

9 comments:

  1. yes! We just started receiving a lot of invites in the mail and ours (going out soon! eeek!) are starting to look plain and boring. But that's totally ok! In the end, it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! We haven't gotten to our invite envelopes yet but I feel like I should do envelope liners even though it's a waste of paper and I don't want to take the time to do it. So I don't think I will. They look pretty but alas, nobody will care if they aren't there. We're planning to buy envelopes in a color (cranberry) so I guess that'll make them a little more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah we just handwrote addresses on plain envelopes. Trust me, it's no big deal-who the hell remembers the envelope anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, my vote is for bigger, better, funner things. That's why we're going with printed labels on plain recycled envelopes (though we are getting a personalized return-address stamp. But that qualifies as a pretty timesaver/label alternative). Life awaits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found a wedding blog to read by another person going through bar prep right now. Sometimes wedding stuff is just the distraction I need, other times I resent having to think about anything other than "OMG is this DOUBLE HEARSAY?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure your envelopes will look awesome! Stamp or no stamp every single person invited to your wedding will be thrilled that your first day are a Family is right around the corner

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty convinced no one except us & our parents (well, really our Moms) care about invites. Ours are so plain the blog world might tar & feather me. And ya know what? No biggie - cuz all I can see are my college friends sending in the RSVP & tossing everything but the directions in the trash.

    Stamps would be really pretty, but it's no big. And if you really want em. I say have the Mr. do it, or have a girls night & ask 2 friends to help bang it out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling Ellie, do not stress about stamps on invites. Bigger fish to fry. So few people are going to notice that it is not worth your energy if it is a burden. The stuff that is extra...only do what is fun. So if stamping is fun, then do it. If not, focus limited attention elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete