Monday, June 14, 2010

Our Super Nerdy STDs we never showed you

It occurred to me that we never showed you our super-nerdy STDs that reflect our wedding being on 10-10-10, which is binary for 42.  If you haven't read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you should probably just stop reading now.

These save-the-dates went to our really nerdy friends, a lot of whom didn't even get the reference.  I think part of the reason I haven't written about them is because they were somewhat poorly executed.  I mean, the save-the-dates are cute; but we mailed them out with no explanation and never heard anything from anyone who got them, except for one friend.  (Who loved them.)  But...I was disappointed with the way everything happened. 

I also never wrote about them because somebody would have asked how we did them.  The process was this:

1.) I stole a bunch of clip art from the Google Image engine until I found a good image of the planets.  Then I found a bunch more clip art. I'm not proud of this, but we only mailed out 12 and I ran it by my IP friend and he said as long as it was proper parody and not for sale, we would be okay.
2.) I put the images in Gimp shop to manipulate.  I failed and eventually Mark did it by trial and error.
3.)  I put together the images in Inkscape and used fonts from DaFont.  At the last minute, I added the starry background at Mark's suggestion.  
4.) I attempted to print them about 11 times before I finally got the layout correct.  I had to .pdf them on my laptop and email them to my desktop to print them and it was really frustrating.
We printed our website on the back and printed Don't Panic! on the envelope.

I was really happy with how these came out, but like I said, I wasn't happy with the way we then executed it.  The original design I had was much more explanatory, but Mark came up with this one and  I deferred to his judgment, since they were mostly going to his friends.  In retrospect, I shouldn't have done that.  Truthfully, I think I did because I'm the girl.  I'm the one who doesn't know binary.  I'm the one who didn't read Hitchhiker's until my freshman year of college.  So I deferred to his judgment at that point, but later, when he wanted to make a small change that would make a lot more sense, I refused because getting them to print had been such a nightmare and I wasn't going to reprint them and I just wanted them to be gone!

Mark also got annoyed when I tried to explain it to people before we sent them (he didn't want me to "ruin the surprise", which I understand), and nobody asked us about it afterwards.  We also gave them to guests who had already received regular STDs, so they were super-confused.

What have been your wedding fails so far?

4 comments:

  1. ohh, they are really quite awesome. i love hitchhiker's! i can see how it might be confusing for someone who hasn't read it, but I wouldn't call it a fail at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHA, those are SO AWESOME! If I had gotten one, I would have called you immediately to tell you how awesome they were.

    But yeah, lack of explanation could be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had read this book so I could understand the post. I think it's pretty sweet though. And the binary code is excellent.

    Our wedding fail was probably my DIY Natty Boh cake topper. The craft items were a last purchase at Michaels. I thought it was a good idea b/c Josh made buttons with the Boh guy and girl on them. Let's just say they look SUPER scary. So I found this sweet cat themed topper on Etsy instead. HUGE and SCARY fail. Haha!

    and p.s. Thanks for the JustGive suggestion. We're using it! (People even gave us a bit of crap this weekend for doing an "alternative registry" rather than the usual Crate and Barrel or Target option. I was like, really guys?)

    ReplyDelete