Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Paper Cutters: Seriously, stop being so cheap.

That seriously is directed at you, loyal readers.  I know, I know, you're on a budget.  But if I give you one piece of advice regarding DIY invites, it is this.
Instead of investing $200 in a new printer, and then cutting your invites with a paper cutter from the craft store, invest in a professional paper cutter (and get your invites printed for you - it's way cheaper, and so much less headache).

We cut our rehearsal dinner invites with my sister's seriously dull paper cutter.  They came out with a lovely deckled edge.  I had to be talked off the cliff of trying to recut all of them when we were almost done.  It still kills me that they look like that.
Look, some people might say that you will never use a paper cutter again.  Bullsh*t.  You will use it all the time.  You will use it for things that you didn't ever think about needing to do, like cutting out pictures of a traffic intersection where you ran a red light to make an evidence board for court.
You will use it for a million and one projects with your kids.
You will use it to help decorate your home, to help send out christmas cards, to cut the cheesy taglines off family christmas cards so you can just have a normal picture on your fridge.

So, I know I mentioned this in December, but really, invest.  Budget $150 for a paper cutter and then order one that fits your needs.  They don't make the brand that my mom has anymore, but you want a ROTARY cutter.  You want a PROFESSIONAL model.  You want a metal plate, you want a magnet or other tool for alignment, and you want a self-sharpening blade.  If it's made in Germany, that is good, because man do they know how to make knives.  Fortunately, a lot of the pro ones that are super expensive are actually HUGE so you can buy the "small" model that is still like, 12"x14" and cuts a full sheet of paper.  (Don't buy anything smaller.)

Normally, I'm not the person who is all, "don't buy tools just for your wedding." This tool isn't just for your wedding. It's for the rest of your lives.

6 comments:

  1. We don't have space in our little Brooklyn apartment to store a paper cutter, but we're avoiding needing to cut at all by buying pre-cut paper. If we need to cut something, my fiance is going to see if he can use the one at his job after hours. I'm avoiding cheap paper-cutters at all costs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Maybe I'm confused about this dilemma because perhaps it's about the need/want to do things DIY, but I'm pretty sure we had our invitations printed through American Stationery on absolutely lovely ivory textured paper for considerably less than $150.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate - I could totally have gotten our invites for less than $150 except that the amazing perfect ones that I found were DIY invites and I paid more for the design than the paper.... So trust me, I get the confusion.

    Really, I think everybody should own a professional paper cutter, and that it is an investment separate from a wedding. But a lot of brides/couples use a $20 paper cutter and then are disappointed when their invites aren't even, sharp, or precise.

    And Ghenet - I get the storage thing, but you could totally keep it under your fancy printer (I store my laser printer on top of my inkjet right now...). I'm really excited to see how your invites come out with your fancy new printer though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those portable little ones with the slider from Hobby Lobby? Like 15 bucks and they're really sharp...comes with an extra too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me excited because we already have a pro paper cutter! Mr. Beagle needs it to trim photos for clients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand that. I guess if our perfect invites had turned out to be DIY I would have also felt the same way, however, I was dead set on having a design so simple that I could DIY the rest of the wedding (we didn't do placecards, but had framed lists people could pick their names off of, the table names, the instructions for the guest book, the little cards people got telling them about our tree donation, etc.) So we wanted invitations where we could recreate the font and the paper (ivory card stock worked for us) in the rest of the wedding. With invitations like yours I don't know if we could have done that. But that was us (me). Ours were simple but the paper was fantastic, albeit not recycled.

    Also, yes about the paper cutter. It's a life's necessity for anyone ever wanting straight lines.

    ReplyDelete