Sunday, July 25, 2010

Wedding Wisdom: Vote With Your Dollars

This came from ThatWife's post about food, but it's true for both food (and why we are serving unbelievably expensive locally sourced and amazingly good food) and other wedding things:
"I’ve adopted a new mantra in life: Vote With Your Dollars. The choices you make when you decide what to eat really do make a difference. The things you choose to put in your grocery cart not only affect you and your family, but the type of food that will continue to be produced based on the way you “voted” with your dollars. If you contribute to stripping the land with harsh fertilizers and pesticides, the inhumane treatment of factory farmed animals, and the big food corps advertising to your children on Nickelodeon, that’s the food that will continue to be produced. If on the other hand, you seek out local and organic products, you send out a message that these things matter, and that more of them should be produced. Coincidentally you also strike a blow at the profit margin of companies working each year to addict us to fat-laden, sugar-loaded, disease-producing “food products”."  


Look, we all talk about whether or not our weddings are green enough.  We talk about when cheapness wins out over buying handcrafted, or buying local, or buying organic.  We talk about our values and the values we have for our marriages.  I am about to spend almost as much on one day of my life as I will earn in the next year.  That number is horrifying but our parents have been kind and supportive of this investment we are making in our future as a family.  The only thing that makes me feel better about it is the number of times I think about how the choices that we have made strike a blow for independent, fierce, political, practical, local, friendly weddings.

We have chosen vendors we like, or vendors we love.  We have splurged where it was necessary.  But we have said "no" where it was necessary too.  We have said that favors are not more important than inviting the maximum number of guests.  We have said that somebody else's notions of "nice" or "classy" do not mean we need to serve meat.  I said that I hated the typical bridal store experience and I wanted to purchase my dress from someplace that let me walk out of the store with it.

Sometimes I worry that we aren't having a "cooler" wedding.  Sometimes I worry that our wedding won't be cohesive (tissue paper poms and dried flower centerpieces? will that look "right"?), but I never really worry that it won't be "us".  Except when I think about centerpieces, because really, can't I just throw a basket of rolls on the table and call it a night?

1 comment:

  1. I totally think warm bread and softened butter would make an awesome centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete