Thursday, September 23, 2010

Disappointment

When my sister got married, the seamstress at the bridal shop treated her like crap and told her that everything that was wrong with her dress was in her head and she was just acting crazy.  Not wanting to have a similar experience, I decided to have my dress altered by a woman who I met when my sister was dress hunting who I really liked.  I wanted to go with somebody who I thought would respect me and treat me well as well as doing a good job with my dress.

Last Friday was my second fitting.  As I was getting ready to leave, my father called to say that he called the shop for directions (since my mom was going to come with me) and the seamstress had no recollection of our appointment.  I immediately called to figure out what was happening and was told that she hadn't written down the appointment in her book, so she had forgotten it.  Since this is the kind of thing that occasionally happens (and happens a lot to me), I let it go and rescheduled for Wednesday.

Last night we arrived at the shop and it was closed.  I called the number on the door and she said, "I had you down for next Wednesday."  I flipped out.  What bride would schedule her second (NOT FINAL) fitting for a week and a half before her wedding?  The dress still needs a hem and the neckline has to be changed.  The seamstress apologized profusely and I scheduled an appointment for today.  She assured me that she would not leave the shop until I came by, and that she would be there whenever I came in.

Nonetheless, I feel really frustrated.  I didn't really have two hours to waste driving out to Olney today and yesterday, and I'm very worried about getting my dress back in time because if this woman can't handle scheduling appointments, I'm not going to be able to.

Also, what the hell would I do if I had a real job where I couldn't run off in the middle of the day and go to fittings?  I mean, seriously - our evenings are booked up through next week, and just because somebody is getting married doesn't mean they have unlimited time during the day to deal with stuff like this.

Have you experienced any unexpected frustrations or disappointments with vendors?

11 comments:

  1. Oh hell yeah! I hear ya. I had so many vendors just expect that I could meet with them in the middle of the day in the middle of the week. Hello! I have a job. If you want me to PAY you, I have to actually work! I ended up having to take some time off for work for some things which was frustrating when I was trying to bank time for the honeymoon!

    You have all the reason in the world to be frustrated. This is an important piece of the wedding and she should have been more professional. I hope it all works out today. I will be anxious to hear how it went. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our string quartet was the vendor that did this to us -- they kept canceling appointments (including backing out of a promise to send someone to the rehearsal), and when they finally made one of the meetings, they were totally unprepared! They told us not to worry because they were sooooo awesome, but they also screwed up on the wedding day. Twerps.

    You'll probably schedule your final fitting today, right? I say, make her write it down in front of you, and then call to confirm. Twice. Yes, it's annoying for her, but it's much more annoying for you to waste that kind of time on the road when she can't keep it together to remember/correctly record appointments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry she's not acting professionally. I don't really have any of my vendors lined up yet, so I haven't experienced what you are going through, but it sounds so frustrating. I'd have a firm but courteous talk with her today about your expectations for her service.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand why you would be frustrated with your seamstress. I would ask her to discount her price because of all of the mix-ups on her part. We have had SO MANY things like this happen and we are getting married the same day as you two. I'm fully expecting things to go wrong on our wedding day too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had some similar issues with my dress lady. I think we had to reschedule two or three times as well... But I stuck with it and she got it done - plus, she then gave me a huge discount! It stressed me out and hand me freaked out a few times, but in the end, it all works out. And might save you some dollars, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a horror story! I'm so sorry. Hopefully the finished product will make you forget this mishaps.

    I had a bad run with the seamstress I used to alter my bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding last summer. I'm tall, so I paid for extra length, and then it was overhemmed. I'd have been better off just buying the normal dress; at least the too-short hem would have been even.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had started working with my custom clothing shop months ago; I would have recommended us!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I needed to read this today.... sigh. I booked my hair appointment in FEBRUARY because I was out of town and the person I wanted "books up very fast" according to the reviews I read on Weddingbee and The Knot and every other place new engaged gals go to find out who they will work with. Well since Feb I have had a VERY frustrating time with an extremely unprofessional stylist. Today I am emailing into the universe of Philly hair to see if I can get a vendor that actually reads email, books appointments, and sends a contract.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so frustrating and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. I hope everything works out!

    ReplyDelete