Monday, September 20, 2010

Our Invitations

When we first got engaged, I searched high and low for invitations that suited our wedding, filled me with joy, were inexpensive, and weren't too girly.  It was slow going for awhile, and then this happened.

I entered the contest and then something amazing happened.  It wasn't me winning, but the design that Kimi came up with for the winner was exactly what I had been looking for.  And, lucky us, it was going to be available on the main website.

I only had one concern about the invitation, which was that my hyphenated last name wouldn't fit between the trees.  Kimi, who is amazing, reassured me that it would be okay.  So we picked wording and ordered the invitations.  Then we got them printed and assembled them.

So here is the finished product (printed on recycled linen paper, which gave them a really professional look):
Some more detailing of the trees, which have our initials carved in them: 
And then you flip them over:
Why yes, I did make pocketfolds.  When you do them this way, they are super-easy and only take 2 hours.

I bought a grass stamp at Michaels and we used the same ink pad from our Save the Dates.  My sister lovingly stamped all of these and they look pretty good.  

Mark and I put together the directions card and then Mark put together this beautiful map for our guests:
The hotel sent us business cards with the room block information, which we included as well - the font was close enough that I didn't worry about it, and just stuck them in.

The only downside? I highly recommend using rubber cement and gluelines, because after 2 months of sitting in our apartment, our invites looked like this -
I re-glued them before we mailed them, but this is Mark's parents as it is sitting on their fridge.  I'm not going to worry about it.  In addition, several of the invitations were cut poorly (damn Staples!) and several more were off-center on the blue cardstock backing.  Hopefully I'll be back soon with some details on the lazy/poor couple's pocketfolds and also show off our rehearsal dinner invites, which are spectacular.

I will say, I've seen a lot of invites since we ordered ours, but nothing else has seemed quite so perfect.  There are people who hazard against DIY invites, but truthfully, if you aren't a perfectionist and you have enough good people who have your back, it's pretty easy.

5 comments:

  1. I love them! I remember seeing these invites on APW. They look great on the linen paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when a plan comes together! I have enjoyed playing diy with our invites too.

    Although stupid glue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are amazing. And I love the textured paper. They are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your invites are great and sooooo appropriate for your wedding. I love them! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are amazing! The linen paper adds a really nice texture, and I loooooove pocketfolds. There's just something about a pretty folder that keeps all of those bits of paper organized that appeals to my inner paper geek :-)

    ReplyDelete