Friday, October 8, 2010

The fun part

Okay, ladies and gents - last night I finished the last of my DIY projects (and just have to help Mark a smidgen) which means it's time to move on to the fun stuff: honeymoon planning and packing!
So I need some book recommendations! I prefer fiction, I like books that feature strong female leads, and although murder-mysteries interest me, I do not care for books with gruesome details that make my skin crawl.  I enjoy historical fiction (any time period) and I don't really like fantasy.  I like good writing and books that talk about complicated issues in a simple way or books that talk about simple issues in a complicated way.  I don't really like "difficult" books.  I do like short story/essay collections, particularly by funny people.  Some of my favorite recent reads are:
-The Help (Kathryn Stockett)
-Animal Dreams (Barbara Kingsolver)
-Prodigal Summer (Barbara Kingsolver)
-Water for Elephants
-Summer at Tiffany (Marjorie Hart)
-The Lacuna (okay, I'm a big Kingsolver fan)

I'm currently reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, which has not yet picked up for me in a way that helps me understand what the fuss is about.  I'm considering checking out The Meaning of Wife - anybody read that?  I might also download Dan Savage's The Commitment, which sounds pretty good, but I'm always open to some good fiction recs, so lets hear them!

9 comments:

  1. -Anything by Christopher Moore --hilarious!
    -Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
    and its 'sequel' The Year of the Flood
    -Room by Emma Donoghue --disturbing, but power as a horrible horrible story is told from the perspective of a little kid
    -The Wild Trees--it is about the search for the world's largest tree and several redwood scientists . . . . very appropriate given your honeymoon destination
    -In the Woods by Tana French --an Irish murder mystery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Jodi Picoult? Her latest, HOUSE RULES, was really good. I'm a big fan of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo on honeymoon but didn't take the second and third - and totally regretted it when Girl with a Dragon Tattoo got really good (the first third was really hard). ended up buying them in Dubai for the last few days by the pool.

    how about Tibor Fischer - have you read any of his? my favourite is The Collector Collector

    I've heard The Help is good - I need to pick that one up

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely give The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a chance. It took a while for me to warm up to it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. I'm now absolutely tearing through The Girl Who Played with Fire.

    Angela mentioned In The Woods by Tana French. I second that, and her 2nd one (Likeness) was even better.

    I'm a huge fan of Chuck Klosterman. His books are collections of his essays about pop culture. They're pretty funny.

    I'm planning to take the final Harry Potter book on our honeymoon so that I can refresh my memory before the new movie comes out over Thanksgiving. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series has been around a while, but I just recently started reading it. She's a bounty hunter that keeps getting involved in local crimes kind of by accident. Lots of humor mixed with mystery. It's an easy read.

    Also good luck with your wedding! I'm sure it will be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Books? On a Honeymoon? What is the world coming to?

    We didn't even take a watch on our honeymoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Thirteenth Tale. I looooooved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Meaning of Wife and was a little disappointed by it, to be honest. I didn't enjoy it enough (or wasn't challenged enough by it) to recommend, especially as a honeymoon book. Have you ever read Bill Bryson? He's a travel writer, and while it's not fiction, he's high-larious.

    I'd also recommend What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson. It's one of my all time favorite books. Apparently he's a fantasy writer (I've never read anything else of his), but it's not too fantasy-y. I think it's really really lovely.

    Oh, and the Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst, I think her name is. I remember enjoying that one several years ago when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with eclpse that The Meaning of Wife is not a honeymoon book. I didn't enjoy it much either. The Commitment, however, was hilarious. I recommend that one for sure. Have a great honeymoon! Congratulations on your wedding!

    ReplyDelete