Monday, October 18, 2010

Home.

So we're back, and we're married*.  And in case you have had any doubts: 
(by my cousin Matt)
I've decided, for the most part, to not do recaps.  I'm going to keep writing the way I've been writing, tackling small issues, big issues, details, decor, family drama, and everything else taking it one day at a time.  But I don't really care for, "and then we did our first dance and here are all of the pictures of our first dance."  I will illustrate these posts with our professional pictures, when we have them, and until then, with pictures by our VERY talented amateur friends.  
(taken by Mark's 16 year old cousin)

I also will start with this one Very Important Lesson about getting married the way we did: you will owe people.  You will owe them BIG TIME.  You will owe them your soul, and will probably need to name your firstborn child after them to make it up to them.  Your friends will come through for you in ways you cannot imagine, and they will make your wedding happen for you.  It was amazing to have an entire community of people helping us out the way they did, but I will probably always feel a little bit guilty about how hard everyone worked to make this day special for me.  I could say for us but Mark and the guys put themselves through hell on our wedding day to make sure that everything I had worked for went off without a hitch.  It's hard not to feel really loved when that kind of thing happens.  

*We totally don't feel married.  My sister assures me that weddings are like birthdays - you don't feel older on your birthday, but eventually you feel old.  I have been clinging to this to reassure me that we did not do something wrong that resulted in not feeling married.  

11 comments:

  1. Yay you two!

    I think the "feeling married" comes with a little more time, too. It comes with talking about your spouse as your spouse/husband/wife rather than fiance/e/girlfriend/boyfriend. It comes with making big decisions together and *knowing* for realsies that you're doing things together (moves, financial decisions, whether to keep the kitten - um that last oen is just me, I think). It comes with practice. But, for me, it does feel different. If it doesn't for you... I still don't think you're doing it wrong.

    Also, I think I will do recaps of sorts, but more to show off pictures and make certain points, because I don't think the internet cares about pictures of people I care about dancing if they don't know those people. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You are so right, you will OWE people in the hugest ways. We sure do. And the feeling married thing is gradual...I'm 2-3 months in, and slowly feeling more married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay yay yay yay yay yay! Congratulations! I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong because you don't feel different. Marriage is different for every couple, so it won't feel the same as other people's marriages do. I'm sure it's just a time thing like Roughit said.

    I much prefer lessons and posts on smaller topics than chronological posts of the day. I'm so glad to hear you felt so much love and that's the guys really pulled through. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you and Mark! Don't worry about feeling guilty, for the most part, you'll be able to find ways to make the people who helped you just feel just as special and loved as they made you feel during the wedding. And your sister is right, it may take a few days to set in, but the married feeling will hit. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt married the first time I said "I'll have to check with my wife on that"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, no recaps? Sadness. I do hope that will not hinder you from telling us every detail of your day.

    And CONGRATULATIONS! I am sorry that your honeymoon was not during a particularly warm time in California, it is so weird for us to have rain in October, but I hope both your wedding and your honeymoon were AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh hey beautiful! you look great! and mark is looking sharp himself!

    you know, i'd be a little disappointed if you did the "here's our first dance. look at this picture. i wore a white dress. it was long. here is the cake. it tasted yummy." i'm glad you're sticking the usual format.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!!! You looked beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete