Friday, October 29, 2010

Unavoidable Pain

Among other things, our ceremony included the Wine and Chocolate ritual that Mrs. Lovebug came up with.  I loved this ritual, and it allowed us to echo the Jewish tradition of drinking wine without appropriating it.  Particularly relevant to us right now is the chocolate portion, for which we ate 89% dark chocolate.  My grandmother passed away early this morning, and we are coping with this as well as several other difficulties in our young marriage.  So I take comfort in the words our minister read to us:


There will come in your life days of great sweetness, and days of bitter sorrow. There will be celebrations, and there will be tears. There will be triumphs, and there will be tragedies. Life holds indescribable happiness in store for you both - and unavoidable pain, as well.  And so to symbolize your acceptance of this reality, today you will share the bitter and the sweet, just as you will share them in the years to come.  Both of you, take and eat this bitter, dark chocolate. Taste in it the dark days which will rock your marriage and test its strength. It represents disappointment, illness, grief. Know that these hard times will come, and with them, the opportunity to deepen your bond as husband and wife.


Since this is a totally depressing post, I offer you this picture of what the chocolate tasted like.
  

And this picture, sweetness to symbolize the joy we will feel as well:  
That wine was delicious.  I had seconds.
Then this happened:
And then this:

So I choose to believe that the indescribable happiness will be coming.  

(P.S. All pictures by Prema Photographic.  We got our pro pics on Wednesday!  There is a post with more teasers tomorrow, this post interrupted your regularly scheduled posting.)  

7 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry to hear about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, ellie. i know happiness is coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your grandmother, Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Ellie. Sending may hugs your way. Those words that the minister said are really wonderful. Hang on to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete