Sunday, November 14, 2010

Do what you like. Like what you do.

After the primary campaign was over, I realized how much I hadn't been running or working out in a healthy way.  I started lacing up my sneakers again and got out on the pavement.  It felt really good to be able to run again, but wedding planning began edging it's way in.  Go to the gym? I had favors to stuff!

I had, and would advise you to do the same, religiously kept the weekend before our wedding completely open. I was unwilling to say "we'll do crafting on the 3rd" until about a week before.  I knew I would need time that weekend for projects, and also time to take for myself so I didn't have to stress out for a week.  I knew we would need a break.  So when Mark planned his bachelor party for Friday and Saturday, and my friend asked me if I'd like to go for an 11-mile run on the BWI trail, I said yes.

As a runner, I will tell you, going on an 11-mile run is not very advisable when the most you have run in 6 weeks is 5 miles.  But I was so sick of feeling lazy and out of shape and I was really tired of people telling me things I could and couldn't do that I decided to go for it.  As I was pre-emptively taking pain relievers, making sure I had water, and gearing up, I thought, "this is a terrible idea."  I warned my friend that we would need to take it slowly.  We settled for a run-walk plan of something like 20-30 minutes running, walking for 5-10 minutes.  We finished the run in around 2 hours and despite some lingering hip soreness and foot pain, I felt really good.  Then I came home, took an ice bath, and a nap, and didn't think about the wedding.

Overall, the run did something really good for me - it reminded me that I am badass and about more than this wedding, but more importantly, it reminded me that I had a life to come back to after the wedding.  I had half-marathon training plans and speed goals that awaited our return and I had friends I wanted to spend time with.    It's really easy to get wrapped up in wedding planning, but it's really important to remind yourself that there are goals beyond the wedding that you want to reach.

1 comment:

  1. i love this...you are AWESOME for running that much! holy cow. sounds like a plan to keep after the wedding in mind - after all, that's the whole point OF the wedding is the after-part right?

    ReplyDelete