Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Bridesmaids and Groomsmen

Way back when we talked about what we wanted, we wanted a casual-feeling wedding in the woods that was somehow still classy.  I wanted short dresses for bridesmaids that didn't match.  I wanted the groomsmen and Mark to wear suits that they owned and hang it all if they didn't match.
How did that go?
By Prema Photographic

Yeah.  Bridesmaids kind of want to wear the same dresses.  It's a bit of a badge of honor, and it's part of what being a bridesmaid really means.  It means they love you enough to wear an overpriced ugly dress.  Depending on your bridesmaids.  Mine wanted to be Bridesmaids, with all the horror and expense it involved.  Each of the bridesmaids said something along the lines of, "you can't just tell us to wear the same navy blue dress. It won't look right."  So then it was trying to find a line of dresses that had an option that everybody liked.  That didn't really happen, so finally we went to Bella Bridesmaid and I said, "you're getting the blue one with the weird belt and I'm making you wear a sash."  
I was happy though, because I loved the way the dresses looked on everyone - and with my dress.  
The groomsmen wound up in tuxes because it was the only part of the whole wedding that Mark's dad felt strongly about.
The guys looked great, the green vests were fantastic, and Mark's tux fit him really really nicely.  
I had been concerned about the "level of formality" of our wedding, but in the end, I was pretty happy with the attire.  Did I feel like our wedding was overly formal?  Not at all.  Because even when you are dressed in black tie formalwear, you're still the same person underneath.
If you don't make the wedding itself super-formal, and your guests sit on picnic benches, it'll all be alright.  And even if it's not alright, it's still alright.  

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the green vests. I'm such a sucker for black tie.

    ReplyDelete