Monday, December 13, 2010

DIY Week: Aisle Balls

I really wanted to incorporate moss somehow into our wedding.  My MIL wanted us to have something decorating the aisle.  This is the story of the easy and cheap way I solved both problems.  My cousin gave me the willow balls they hung on chairs at their wedding for us to hang from shepherd's hooks, and I wanted to make them a little different for our wedding, so I broke out my hot glue gun and two packages of sheet moss from the craft store.
Willowballs look like this to start:
And ours wound up looking like this:
This was much easier than making a moss pomander out of a Styrofoam ball.  The willow balls were purchased at Pier 1 (I think) and then A. tied the bows on them.  I hot glued moss all around, but it stuck really easily to the willow ball material and were good to go.  The sheet moss covered pretty quickly - just keep your glue gun on low.  Styrofoam balls are surprisingly expensive, and much harder to get the ribbon attached to, so I would recommend this approach for moss balls and possibly also for adding flowers to make pomanders.  

2 comments:

  1. We're thinking about using moss in the decor, but it seems kind of pricey from what I've seen. How did you feel about the cost-effectiveness of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of willow balls before. Those seem much easier to work with than Styrofoam balls! Thanks for the tip!

    -Miss Puppy Love
    http://classicpuppylove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete