Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Face Off

I'll come out with it.  I have really dry skin.  Made worse by acne medications which I use because it turns out that your skin doesn't clear up in your twenties and acne isn't professional.  Normally, I deal with my dry skin by wearing an oil-free moisturizer with sunscreen, but the week before our wedding, temperatures dropped and suddenly my skin was peeling off my face.  I had a minor freak out, and then hurried to my local Sephora.  There, they talked me into purchasing an extremely expensive face lotion:
Look, I'll admit it.  This is where the WIC got me.  Would I ever, ever, ever under any normal circumstances pay $34 for a moisturizer?  No! I think paying $11.99 is highway robbery!!! 

But it's my wedding.  And we're talking about my face.  So I caved and I bought it.  I'm really glad I did.  

I'm not going to flat out tell you omigosh, this stuff works! Because here is why it worked: this is a gel, not a creme moisturizer.  Therefore, I could apply it six times a day without my face greasing up.  Which I did.  I would slather it on before and after showering, pile it on before bed, and reapply if I saw the slightest hint of dryness.  My face didn't break out from it and was flake-free on our wedding weekend.  So for me, it worked.  I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a second container when I go through this, but the gel stuff is seriously awesome compared to a normal creme moisturizer.  (Can anyone recommend a similar drugstore brand one? I've heard Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel...)

Now that the wedding is over, I'm using it at night and my skin is holding up okay, even as the temperature drops.  Anyone else stupid enough to plan an October wedding when they know their skin is fickle?

7 comments:

  1. Don't you hate how your 20s don't mean no more acne? I was so mad when I found that out, it's been 13 years since I started breaking out, shouldn't it be over?!

    That face gel sounds amazing btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Clinique products and have regular breakouts as well...However, all that acne medication that WORKS peels the skin right off, like you were saying. I'll give it a try...I'm always looking for a more efficient, better skincare system...and $34 is nothin' compared to some of the crazy dermatology treatments that do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good things about clinique and knowing that it works for similar skin types to mine gives me more confidence- I hate spending $$ like that on products that might not work. Plus my wedding is next October so I'm sure I'll have dry skin issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. our wedding is in february and it's really dry here during the winter months. and i suffer from terrible dry skin!!! i might have to try this product! i've been dropping $25 on products that don't do a very good job anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's like my favorite product on earth, but I can't normally afford it. You bet your ass I'll buy some for the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like this was one of those situations that was better to just throw money at the situation, so don't worry about caving into the WIC.

    I think this stuff would be really great for me, but I'm not sure if I can afford it currently. If you hear about a good drug store equivalent, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg Ellie, I JUST saw this entry and I am IN LOVE with that moisturizer. I rarely buy it b/c it is soooo expensive, but I tend to buy enough Clinique products that I sometimes get freebies of it, and it's completely amazing. I also completely agree with the suckage of acne NOT going away in your twenties...that is such a horrible lie that people tell you, my skin is probably worse now than when I was 13 because I am so much more stressed out and sleep deprived. I have been using Proactiv for years, and even though it's wonderful and has kept my skin pretty manageable overall, even that $60 a pop package is no match for the weeks/months where I am writing final papers and stress-eating. Anyways, I have occasional freak-outs about how my skin will be at my (imaginary, hypothetical) future wedding, and I am glad to know this worked so well for you:-) I am so totally coming back to this blog for my (imaginary, hypothetical) future wedding planning.

    ReplyDelete