Monday, January 3, 2011

Enjoying vs. Capturing

Or: My biggest wedding mistake.
See these pictures?
Sure, they're amazing.  But we took them during dinner - we snuck out, and took them outside the tent - and while we were taking them, we weren't eating.  Our food got cold :(.  While Bon Appetit's food is amazing, my butternut squash risotto was not good cold.  Neither was my fish.  

We were only out for a couple of minutes, so I imagine it's all the people we ran into on our way back in that wanted to talk to us which was the real reason our food got cold, but still.  Don't let this happen to you.  And certainly don't let it happen to your husband, who thinks that these pictures were Not Worth It and had already taken 400 pictures that day.  In retrospect, this would have been a great time to let Mark enjoy his dinner, and since I didn't really eat much anyway (wasn't in the mood), Kiersten and I could have snuck off and taken a few bridal portraits that we missed getting earlier.  

The biggest lesson I learned from our wedding, that I will pass on, because I didn't learn it in time:  you can't take pictures of everything.  And you shouldn't try.  You will have so many pictures and you will love them all, but if you had half as many, you would enjoy yourself twice as much.  Don't get so caught up in making sure the day is captured, and is blogworthy, and that you have all the right props and the right backgrounds and the perfect lighting that you let things at your wedding pass you by.  I wish, dearly, that we'd gotten to talk to every guest instead of taking more pictures of ourselves.  I wish, very much, that dinner had started on time and that we could have dance a lot more, but we didn't, because the ceremony started late and I didn't have the nerve to cut the pictures.  

This is where it's important to let go of the blogs.  Let go of having amazing, professional pictures of yourself.  You can get those done anytime.  But you'll only be with your family and friends and dancing like crazy wearing a big princess dress for this one day.  So enjoy the h*ll out of it, and let the perfect pictures go.  Worry about those another day.  

8 comments:

  1. Great tips. I so wish that we had put our foot down and said no to a few pictures. Looking back, I would so much rather have spent the time, say, enjoying our cocktail hour with our guests, than taking a bunch of pictures that we didn't even want in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i getcha...i studied abroad this summer and EVERYONE was just seeing the countries through the tiny viewfinder in their cameras, tryin to get artistic shots...one girl had 2,000 photos by the end of day one...and some of them are beautiful...but she wasn't actually IN russia...you know?

    being present is something you can take past the wedding, though. and i know you already know how gorgeous those photos are...but they're absolutely beautiful...and you'll have them forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice. Duly noted wise lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are gorgeous but I totally understand what you mean. We didn't sneak out of our reception to take any photos and I don't regret not getting extra shots because of it. We had a blast hanging out with our guests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good to hear. I need to clear my head of the blogosphere in this area because I know you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! What a wonderful blog you have here. What great advice and I have been struggling with this as well. I want to enjoy as MUCH time as I can with my family and friends and not stuck behind a lense all night long. I wrote my feelings on this somewhat controversial topic on my blog post here! http://bride-onicles.blogspot.com/2010/11/pre-ceremony-photog-session.html

    ReplyDelete