Monday, January 17, 2011

Tossing

I was adamant about wanting the DJ to play single ladies and not during the bouquet toss.  We ran out of time to play Single Ladies, but I picked a different bouquet toss song anyway - Supermodel, by Jill Sobule.  I think you might recognize it from Clueless, but it's a really fun girlie song.  I did the bouquet toss because I happen to be mostly friends with young women in their mid-twenties who are in serious relationships and haven't been to a lot of weddings, so the bouquet toss tends to be more fun with that demographic - nobody really feel shamed by the toss or like it's a judgment on their being single in their thirties.

I got up to toss the bouquet and nearly fell off the stage.  I was going to use my tosser bouquet, but it was in my dressing room, so I pitched my SIL's bouquet instead.  When I got up on the stage, I very nearly fell off, so watch your footing if you are climbing on anything.
Then I tossed it.
Then my good friend Amy caught it.  This was very exciting for us, but probably not her boyfriend.
Then we danced for a bit.  Then I sadly had to run off the dance floor to deal with family obligations, which was kind of annoying.  It is okay to say "not right now" to a non-urgent family situation, and instead boogie down with your friends.  But it's okay, because we got back to dancing soon enough.
I know that the bouquet toss is grotesque to some people - but for my group of friends, it was fun, and by some, appreciated - my girl friends are mostly girls in their mid-twenties in serious relationships on the verge of getting engaged.  Pretty much every girl on the floor for the toss has a serious boyfriend, and a couple of the girls actually welcomed the toss.  I think if I had a large group of truly single friends, or my friends were older, or the bouquet toss was mandatory, it would have been less fun.  I think you really have to know your crowd to know if the toss is the right choice for your group.  
Did you toss anything?  Will you be tossing anything?  

3 comments:

  1. I'm not tossing anything, nor is the Beagle, but I think you are right about that demographic. Our friends pretty much fit in that demographic too, and no one feels singled out or weird about it. Although, in 2-3 years, it is going to start getting a bit awkward as more of us are going to be married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't doing the toss, but it's only because before we were engaged I HATED going out there. HATE HATE HATE. When I was 18, sure it was fun, but after college I dreaded that part of the wedding. I used to try to hide in the bathroom during that part. I don't know why I have "issues" about the bouquet toss :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God I'm not the only one still doing this! I get why people don't want to, but I think it's fun. My friends are mostly in their early 20s and single, and Daniel's are mostly in their late 20s and in serious relationships, and I feel like this works. I can't imagine any of them being offended at any rate.

    ReplyDelete