Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cheap and Easy? Yay!

Okay, so I'm not a big fan of favors.  I think they can be really fun, but I find it a bit heartbreaking when a couple spends $3 on a favor that is useless or not going to be everyone's style.  So I was super-psyched to see Ms. Sloth post about their favors - which I had considered, but only when I saw amazing handmade DIY ones.
It never occurred to me that I could just buy wildflower seed packets and put them out on the tables.
Or, better yet, get a big clay planter and fill it with seed packets by the exit with a sign that says, "thank you!"  This is my trick for not having to buy as many favors - you buy 100 seed packets for 150 guests - chances are, you'll still have some left over.
Wildflower seeds are great because you don't even plant them - you just throw them on the ground and they grow!  These would have been perfect for our wedding, since it was at a nature center (although perhaps we should check to make sure the wildflowers are not an invasive species), and they would have been a nice potential alternative to the candy that we had as favors - it's two totally different things, people could take one of each or just one, without feeling guilty.  Of course, you don't need to have favors, but if there is a family member that thinks that you do need to have favors, this is a really easy way to silence them. 

Any other ideas for really easy favors you can put in buckets by the exit?

2 comments:

  1. We had berger cookies (a Baltimore specialty)! We bought them in bulk from Costco and re-packaged them in clear cellophane bags. I think it ended up being about 80 cents each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering our wedding was outdoors, daytime in AUGUST, we bought a bunch of cheap hand fans and tied a little ribbon on them. We put out 100 for 105 guests, and I think there were maybe 4 left over.

    Not bad at all. =)

    ReplyDelete