Thursday, May 12, 2011

Domestic Honeymoons

Where did your parents go on their honeymoon?  Mine went to the southwest, where they went camping and stayed in $3 hotels.  Truthfully, whenever my dad tells the stories, they're pretty funny and I liked hearing them growing up, especially because we often vacationed in the Southwest when we were kids.

I wanted that for my own family.  I wanted to be able to take my children wherever we went, and say, "we went here on our honeymoon" or "we stayed at that hotel, and look, it's still there!"  So that was a factor in our decision to take a domestic honeymoon.

I think there were some people who were surprised that world-travelers such as ourselves would choose such a simple honeymoon to places where people regularly get sent for conferences, but we didn't want the long flight and the big time change to go to Europe or South America or Australia or Asia.  We were short on vacation time and I didn't have a job lined up, so we weren't looking to spend a lot of money, especially not on airfare.  It was hurricane season in the Caribbean, and we go on dive trips with our friends or family to the Caribbean, so we weren't anxious to go back.

The biggest advantages for us for a domestic honeymoon were that we didn't have to worry about exchange rates or changing money, which I generally feel is a headache, and our cell phones worked.  So Mark could run to the drugstore the morning on our honeymoon when I woke up with a sore throat and cough and call me to ask what kind of Tylenol to buy.  On our first day, I had to call the attorney doing my character review to make sure my last reference for the Bar had been submitted.  We didn't have to worry about not speaking the language or not drinking the water (which isn't that hard, but it isn't that easy).

We were able to do San Francisco and San Diego right because we didn't spend much on airfare, and we also got to go places we had never been and that excited us greatly, so we are very happy with our choice of honeymoon destination.  If you are also considering a domestic honeymoon, definitely don't write it off just because it sounds boring or you feel silly or you feel like you have to do anything.  Your honeymoon is the one thing about your wedding where you really shouldn't feel like you have to do something.

5 comments:

  1. My parents spent three weeks skiing in Colorado, which has always seemed incredible to me, partially because they were much less active by the time I came around, and partially because I can't imagine being able to take three weeks off of work! They had an amazing time. I also love hearing stories from it (like when my mother's engagement ring diamond fell out in the snow, and my father found it for her after an hour of searching, or when my father's cousin met up with them on the slopes for a few days).

    For their second honeymoon (or 30th anniversary trip), they spent a month in China. I don't know which trip they loved more, but they talk about both equally fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is supposed to be a fun getaway, and I think you did it well! We got married in Newport Beach -- a destination wedding sort of and we just stayed in Newport for a few days. It was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We decided that we wanted someplace we would not hate ourselves for never leaving the bed. And then decided closer was better since we're driving. Fingers crossed that works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ve tried all sorts of coughing syrups, believe me, but none of them helps. Even though Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa http://www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm does not eliminates the cough I like to stick to this chinese syrup I’ve been taking since I was a kid: Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. My grandfather is chinese, so I guess my mom got the advice from him. I was really surprised when I found that chinese market selling it here in Belgium. It does have a refreshing, soothing, sweetening effect…as long as it lasts…then back to coughing mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @jolynn: "we wanted someplace we would not hate ourselves for never leaving the bed"

    That's sort of how we viewed it, too - I'm not a HUGE site-seer/photo-taker, but if we went to Europe or South America or even Hawaii, I would feel like I owed it to myself to do stuff, which was exactly what we didn't want to do after a DIY-heavy wedding, LOL.

    ReplyDelete