Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Honeymoons: Does it matter where you go?

I wonder sometimes, whether it really matters where we went on our honeymoon.  We loved San Francisco and San Diego, and we'd been trying to plan a trip there for years, but I wonder if we would have had a better trip if we had gone to South Carolina or Spain or Ireland or Hawaii or anywhere else we had talked about.  I wondered if our cross-country train trip would have felt as awesome.  And I think the answer is yes, because really, I don't think it matters that much where you go.

It matters where you go, because a honeymoon really is a once-in-a-lifetime trip.  I really didn't think it was, but it isn't just another trip.  But at the same time, it doesn't matter where you go, because it's your honeymoon.  Like your wedding dress, which isn't special because of what it looks like, but because you wore it to marry your partner; your honeymoon is special because it's where you went when you went on your honeymoon.  So whether you go to the Caribbean or a hotel in town, it's special.

So I stand by my general feeling that a honeymoon should be someplace that is easy to get to, that is convenient, that is fun.  Don't get too caught up in where to go or what you will do once you get there.  You can be just as relaxed walking around a new town and sitting on a park bench as you can be lying on a beach in the Caribbean.  That's not to say you shouldn't have fun, but if your list of places that you want to go is really long, don't pick the most difficult one just because it's your honeymoon.

6 comments:

  1. Word.

    We had this whole plan about going somewhere bigger after our little Santa Fe honeymoon, but that one will just be a trip. The honeymoon is the honeymoon. And big or small, it's pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, we are definitely going for easy on our honeymoon. A short drive up to Wisconsin. In some ways I am disappointed that we can't go somewhere more exotic, but I think after a crazy wedding weekend, escaping to the woods will be very nice. Like you said, there's no perfect one place to go, it's just important you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I totally disagree. But then, I've had a lot of really cool vacations, and it would be hard for our honeymoon to feel special if we weren't going somewhere really cool.

    I get what you're saying though. When we were really strapped for cash, we thought about going to Napa which is less than 2 hours from home, but I'm sure it would have been nice. Still, I would have felt unfulfilled not going somewhere more exotic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to Hawaii & visited 3 of the islands & had an absolute blast on our honeymoon. But I'm pretty sure it would have been just as awesome anywhere in the world. The place doesn't matter as much as being together as newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Convenience and affordability was a huge factor in our honeymoon planning. We have a giant list of places to visit. For us, picking one of those places was imperative, because this was the only excuse my bosses might ever accept to allow me two full weeks off (plus two days for the wedding.) So big trip it was. But to a place within a 5 hour flight radius that had tourist infrastructure and beautiful places to just relax and bask with each other.

    We knew the basking was important and could have happened anywhere. But for us, this was one of our few chances to travel, so we made it count as a trip-trip too. But for the honeymooning part, I've been telling people I could just as easily have done an all-inclusive beach resort in Mexico or a mountain cabin getaway. And I've been telling people that the basking part was the most important of all.

    ReplyDelete