Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lady Firefighters

My grandpa used to tell me, "I'm going to lecture the lady firefighters next week" or "I just met a lovely lady firefighter."  He was a firefighting instructor and worked with firefighters around the country trying to make sure they didn't get killed by the buildings they were fighting in.  I personally prefer to call lady firefighters "firefighters", but he was enchanted by female firefighters and how they took on a somewhat sexist industry and worked hard to save lives.  When he died (6 years ago this month), several of the people that spoke at his memorial mentioned his commitment to women firefighters and not discriminating against female firefighters and mentoring female firefighters when he had the opportunity.

So when Lauren shared Beth's guestpost, I was pretty outraged.  It is 2012!  My grandpa was more evolved than this!  I spent my high school years being asked by people why I thought feminism was even necessary since we'd reached equality. To them, I say, because small town fire departments would still rather have incompetent volunteers than women.  Eff that noise.  I'm not sure yet what we can do to help Beth, but I'm sure if you wanted to leave a supportive comment, she would appreciate it!

5 comments:

  1. A friend of mine just told me that only 18 of the Fortune 500 companies are run by women. I haven't confirmed her source or anything, but I was outraged to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Thanks so much for this. It means SOO much. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like my father I would like to give all the support I can offer to :-) firefighters of the female persuasion :-). (description offered by a very crusty old Texas chief who was very proud of the 4 women in his small department).

    Hang in there, keep fighting and encourage other women !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete