Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Nesting: Crafting Space

Last year, before the wedding, we decided to move into a place that had, y'know, separate closets.  It also came with a "bonus" room, which means that we have enough space for each of us to get our own space.  And it means that I get my own crafting room.  Technically it is the crafting and guest room, but I'm more than happy with it.  For the first year and a half, I made do with a table that came with our apartment as a table for my cutting mat and my serger, and a desk my parents gave us because I'm pretty sure it's bombproof and my sewing machine weighs upwards of 20-30 lbs.  The room came with built-in shelving which we were using for storing suitcases, wedding gifts, and other items.

I didn't really take before pictures of our re-design, but I have the pictures from before we moved in:
The table that came with the apartment.  It was significantly more bowed by the time I was done with it.

The built in shelving.

Awhile ago, it occurred to me that I needed a good way, a really good way, to store my scissors, thread, buttons, bobbins, ribbon, and everything else.  As the husband and I were discussing what might work best, an idea hit me.  A pegboard!!!  

Apparently I'm not alone.  A quick Pinterest search yielded dozens of craft room pegboard ideas.  I was sold.  We drove to Lowes, bought a 4x4 pegboard, realized it wouldn't fit in our car, cut it in half, and then drove home where I painted the pegboard using some light blue paint that we had lying around.  We also bought a starter kit of pegboard accessories which should get me started.  

And started I did:
(first attempt at rearranging)

(still rearranging)
So right now the space looks a little more like this - making better use of the built-in shelving that came with the place, and helping me stay organized.  

I decided that I could wait until it looked like a catalog, or I could just be a normal person whose house isn't arranged by professional designers and show you all that even if we aren't perfect, we can still take steps towards a future in which we can find our scissors.  

3 comments:

  1. I really like the pegboard idea- quite a space saver I'm sure! Thanks for sharing your progress. I always like it when people post pictures of their actual homes as opposed to overly-stylized photos of designer homes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A designated craft space- you lucky girl! Enjoy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! (also, you have a serger? Sweet!) Really like the color.

    Right now, most of my crafting equipment is organized nicely into empty jars or coffee tubs (markers, paintbrushes, colored pencils, tubes of paint etc.). I still need to find a better organization system for paper goods, though - I keep scraps/clippings in file folders, but there's no rhyme or reason to what goes into which folder.

    ReplyDelete