Monday, October 8, 2012

Hawaii Guide

So we got back from our trip to The Big Island of Hawaii two weeks ago and I really wanted to share some stuff with you guys.  This is only the second long trip that we have taken together that didn't involve family or friends, so it's always a learning experience.  I think that navigating how you travel together is deeply personal, and at the same time there is a lot to benefit from others experiences.  Hawaii also has a ton of stuff to do and it's really overwhelming, so I wanted to share what we did and you can decide if it sounds awesome or terrible. (Except the manta night dive. That one is non-negotiable.)

A couple book recommendations are Hawaii Revealed (I also wish we had gotten the app, that would have been really helpful).  The tone is light and funny, but also serious (environmental cautions, reviews of places that are truly mediocre, etc.) and it was a great resource.  It gave great instructions for hiking trails and off-the-beaten-path tide pools, waterfalls, and other awesomeness.  We borrowed it from a friend, so ask around if you know others who have gone there - a lot of people swear by it.  I also recommend Sarah Vowell's Unfamiliar Fishes.  It's a book about the history of missionaries in Hawaii and also the history of Hawaii from the 1830s forward.  I very much like reading books about my destination before I get there, so I was very pleased with this suggestion from my friend C.

So this whole week will feature posts about some of the stuff we did - some of it will be very boring for most of you (there is a very long post on shore diving) but it is information that I wish we had, and wanted to pass on for others.


No comments:

Post a Comment