Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Dear Maryland

I spent yesterday standing outside a polling place in the cold, handing out lit to the people who took it out of pity or because somehow they were still undecided. 

When we first started this journey this year, I watched in thrilled disbelief as marriage equality passed out of the House of Delegates.  I watched with joy as it passed out of the senate and was signed by the governor.  I waited for the referendum and I gave money, I made phone calls, I attended events.  I often felt as if I was not doing enough to ensure a win, and I worried. 

I worried that this state that I love, that I never intend to leave, that is full of people who are good people who believe in fairness and equality and civil rights, that this state would let me down.  That we would stay true to our history - that we would attempt to be a "neutral" state again, on the battleground of marriage equality. 

Thank you for proving me wrong.  Thank you for coming up big.  Thank you for being filled with people who are willing to listen to reason, who are willing to work together for change, for wanting a better tomorrow. 

I look forward to being able to practice law here in a state where my clients are treated equally.  To assume that this is an issue only for same-sex couples is wrong, because there are thousands of us in professions whose lives are now easier because we know where our clients stand and how we can serve them.  Countless more Marylanders will have access to justice, the benefits of marriage and the protections of divorce.  I practice every day in the family courts and I can hardly express how important that is. 

Thank you, Maryland, for protecting my marriage and making it stronger. 

2 comments:

  1. I would be remiss if I did not point out how awesomely MoCo did on question 6 :-) There are some benefits to living there! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that. Also, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't totally baffled by how poorly organized the rest of the state's democratic parties are. Turns out that having precinct captains who have a table at your polling place isn't a normal thing. This is making me do some serious re-thinking.

      Delete