Monday, April 22, 2013

Books

I was saddened this morning to read of the death of E.L. Konigsburg.  She is one of my very favorite authors, and even though she writes "kids books", if you have never read any of her books, or if the only one you read is "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" you would do well to pick yourself up a copy of "The Second Mrs. Giaconda" and "A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver" and "The View from Saturday."

My mother read several of these books to us growing up, even though by the age of 10, we were voracious readers ourselves, it was a nice thing to do, especially on long trips.  She would also buy me Konigsburg's books for my birthday or Christmas, or sometimes just before long trips, along with a number of other oddly selected but extremely good books, and I say it like that, because my mom isn't really a reader.  But she seemed to have discovered, even in the nineties before Amazon was a thing, a way to select excellent reading material.  I think one of her secrets was to pick a few good authors, and buy all of their books, which is basically what I do as an adult.

I still have all of our Konigsburg books, because even as I have taken to cleaning out my bookshelf in recent years, I look forward to reading these to my own children one day, and I also deeply enjoy rereading them.

Are you a Konigsburg fan?  What is your favorite book?  You can pick your favorite four, if you need to. It is hard to narrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment